Wednesday, August 20, 2014

The Perfect Palette Search

Do you know how hard it is to find a watercolor palette that seals that doesn't cost $20 or more? Let me give you a hint..SUPER HARD. I set out to find the perfect one and here's how the situation played out. 

I woke up on a Wednesday morning and drove over to my local Salvation Army because they have 50% off everything in the store. I was looking for another item in particular when I came across a stack of these Mary Kay (you know. The make-up people.) compact things that had mirrors (which I threw away) in them and they seal tightly, have plenty of room in the bottom for colors and my mixin' goes in the top of the lid. PROBLEM SOLVED!!!! I bought 5 of them. Yep. All 5 that were there. They were originally $2.99 each and for 50% off they each came out to be about $1.60 a piece. Yes. I now have a seal-able watercolor palette (or 5...) for under $2 a piece.




To prep it I used Krylon brand spray paint in white. I like to use the "satin" ones because it's not glossy and it's not a matte. This one is called Fusion and it's used as a primer for plastic, wood, wicker, etc. It's perfect because it sticks to plastic and I only needed one coat. First I sprayed in the inside white, let it dry and then decorated the outside.



The outside was easy after that. I laid down one of my decorative doilies and spray painted over it with a beautiful "Lagoon" color and then lifted off the doily.


After all of my designing and drying was done I took my tubes of Reeve's Watercolors and squeezed them out into their new home, let them dry for about 2 days and voila! Done! I could not be happier with the results and I finally have my palette the way I want it and for about a tenth of the price they are in stores.

No comments:

Post a Comment