Saturday, May 25, 2013

Old Book Sketchbook - Part 2

Part 2 - Covering the Book Covers

aaaand we're back in 3, 2, 1...

Hellooo! Now that you have all of your supplies together, signatures made and your book gutted like a turkey on Thanksgiving we are ready to cover our book. 

As you saw in Part One, I have a big box of fabric that I bought at a garage sale for $4. I chose a fabric that I liked for the cover and I covered it. 

So for this part of the project you're going to need the following supplies:
  • Fabric of your choosing 
    • You'll need to choose a fabric for you outside covers and your inside cover (which will be in the next part of the video)
    • You will want to cut your fabric like this:
      • Length of the book + 2 inches (for a 1 inch border on the inside. 1 inch for each side)
      • Width of the book + 2 inches (same as above)
  • Glue of your choice
  • Bone Folder
    • This is just to crease the spine and allow you to have unsticky fingers when putting down your glue. 
Before I get to the video, I want to add some tips for you: 
  1. Please please pleaseee USE WHAT IS ON HAND. Do not go buy things just to do this project. If all you have is paper, you can do the same. exact. thing. Promise!
  2. You will want to take the top sheet of paper and use it as a template. DO NOT flip your template or your signatures will not be the same and therefore your spine will be off as well when you bind it.
  3. I learned the "Don't cut the edges and then put them into signatures" thing as I was doing this. Oh the beauty of learning as you go. :)
  4. When folding the fabric over, do the short sides of the book first and then do the long sides. It'll give you a cleaner edge in the end. 
Here is the video and I hope you enjoy. As always, if you have any questions, please feel free to comment below or on the video!

1 comment:

  1. LOve it ( I would recommend putting styrofoam under your paper when you you are puching your holes, that way your paper will not bend ) Had a giggle at the owl....but awesome idea to use an old book cover to make a new journal, love the idea! waving hi from the hills of North Carolina ♥

    ReplyDelete