As I made the video it didn't cross my mind to take stills of what I was doing for the blog. I need to be better about that. But before I get to the video, I'm going to show you what's in the tool kit (I tell you about it in the video) that I have. It was a Recollections brand tool kit that I got from Michael's on sale and I ended up not using half the things that were in there so I put the stuff that I use the most in there. So here you go!
Part One: Supplies and Prep
From Left to Right: Plastic palette knife, bone folder, needles, extra Xacto blades, white Sharpie pen, my old Xacto knife, an awl and my new Xacto knife.
The Supplies listed (without interruptions in the video) are the following:
- An old book. Pick any size that you want. If you like small sketchbooks, buy a smaller book, if you like big books, buy a bigger book. It does not have to have sewn signatures (other artist's say that it MUST have it. I call bull!). Pick the book you like. (Note: The one thing you will want to keep in mind is the size of the spine. Mine is about 1 1/2 inches).
- Paper of your choice. For my book I am using Bristol paper. It's 100 lb paper and it's made by Strathmore.
- Paper trimmer.
- A ruler.
- An awl. (see above photo) to make your holes with
- bone folder (see above)
- fabric of your choice to cover the old books
- Thread (again, personal preference. I just used regular sewing thread. Nylon thread is another option. Whatever's in your budget!)
- Needle to sew with.
Okay. So here's the video! Have fun with it and leave your questions and comments!